I was recently made aware of the TurtleRig Bulb Extension through Flashhavoc. An intriguing piece of kit and for $20.95 through Amazon I decided to try one. I wanted to test its capabilities for two specific reasons:
- Does adding more resistance to the bulb reduce the amount of power the light delivers?
- How much more light can be obtained by moving the bulb further into a modifier?
Prior to the TurtleRig being introduced I have been using the Cheetahstand low profile Bowens speedring to move my Flashpoint bulbs closer into the modifiers.
For the testing I conducted, all tests were performed at full power of a Flashpoint 600 strobe 1:1. The meter I used is a Sekonic L358, my tried and true light meter. The meter was set at ISO 100 1/60th shutter speed and the flash intensity was measured in f Stops.
My first test was to determine if the modeling light would be affected by moving the bulb further away from the LED of the Flashpoint 600.
And yes it is effected:
- Without the TurtleRig measured 18″ from the LED f6.3
- With the TurtleRig installed measured 18″ from the LED f4.5
Both were measured using the brightest modeling light setting.
Next was my bare bulb test to determine if the TurtleRig’s added resistance reduces the power of the light:
- Without the TurtleRig measured 18″ from the bulb f57
- With the TurtleRig installed measured 18″ from the bulb f51
The next test was very interesting. I used one of my favorite modifiers, the Elinchrom 39″ Rotalux Deep Octabox with only the inner diffusion panel inserted. I use the configuration most often when using this modifier. I like the added specularity of the light by not using both the inner and outer diffusion panels.
Here’s where things got very interesting….
- Without the TurtleRig measured 18″ from the end of the modifier’s edge f40
- With the TurtleRig installed measured 18″ from the end of the modifier’s edge f40!
The SAME! I tested it over and over and over and it was always the same!
So I decided to move my meter twice as far away from the edge, 36″ or three feet:
- Without the TurtleRig measured 18″ from the end of the modifier’s edge f25
- With the TurtleRig installed measured 18″ from the end of the modifier’s edge f29
AH, so what I can surmise is that by having the bulb extend further into my modifier the difference can be seen the further the talent is away from the modifier. Makes sense since the bulb has the ability to fill the modifier more efficiently than if it is not extended into the modifier.
I will continue to test this device with larger modifiers like my Elinchrom 69″ Rotalux Octabox. The quality of light will also be assessed.